Tiffany lamp repair implies the repairs are performed on a lamp created by Tiffany Studio’s. Unfortunately over the years the context of the word Tiffany has been exaggerated to include all lamps made of stained glass or slag glass. From the definition provided by Wikipedia. A Tiffany lamp is a type of lamp with a glass shade made with glass designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany and his design studio. The most famous was the copper foil lamp technique he perfected.
Tiffany lamps are considered part of the Art Nouveau movement. Due to Tiffany’s dominant influence on the copper foil technique, the term ‘Tiffany lamp shade’ or ‘Tiffany style lamp’ has been often used to refer to stained glass lamps, even those not made by Louis Comfort Tiffany’s company. Over the years I have grown to accept the term Tiffany lamp repair to include all lamps made with stained glass rather than disseminate the other 50 lamp studio’s that made lamps using the copper foil method of construction. Some which I would ague were much better than Tiffany. Below and on other pages. I will entertain you with some of my Tiffany lamp repairs.
Tiffany lamp repair by Len Daley
This picture represents and is known as a Tiffany lamp repair. Basically the repair of a construction technique from the late 1800’s where all the glass pieces were cut and wrapped with copper foil. They were then soldered in place and built using a wooden mold. Performing a Tiffany lamp repair technique would be to reverse the construction process.
While I’m not 100% sure I would attribute this lamp to the Bailey and Son’s lamp company. A lot of Bailey lamps resembled this exact use of bent white frosted glass. In some examples Bailey and Son’s they would often use a hydrochloric acid wash to impart a frost to remove the shine off the glass surface. To replicate this type of frost. I’ll frost new glass by blasting it with walnut shells or aluminum oxide.
After installing the glass and exterior soldering. I then need to flux and solder the interior (above). After all the new soldering is completed I’ll clean and impart a black patina to the solder to blend in with the original 100 year old work.
Tiffany lamp repair cost ?????
- Boxing and transportation.
- Labor and materials.
- Typical Tiffany lamp repairs only have flat glass. This lamp had all bent glass pieces. Six which needed to be bent.
- Displaying this shade required adding a new 1 1/4 metal edge and 3 new hangers for structural support.
- When repairing copper foil work the labor to remove broken glass is often not considered by clients. In this case the replacements are internal pieces which are harder to repair than say border pieces.
- This Tiffany style repair also required treating the glass after it was bent to remove the shine.
- Every project is unique and I’m unable to offer a ball park when asked to express a repair cost. Often many hours of work are invested and neglected to mention just to save a lamp.